Looking for good tools and models to challenge your science instructional tool set?. Here are some of my favorite resources. I have spent a good deal of time adapting them to using in my classes.
Three Dimensional Science Instruction (NGSS)
The Wonder of Science – Paul Anderson
A great site for getting started with NGSS. Wonderful posters, tools, and ideas explained by video. This is my go-to resource for introducing and digesting the shift to 3D teaching and learning.
Argument Driven Inquiry
This is a powerful instructional model that encompasses all the aspects of teaching with the NGSS. This is the first inquiry model that puts all the pieces together in a reproducible structure that I can understand.
Inquiry Hub Biology– This is an amazing resource that challenges me to integrate the multiple facets of NGSS with intriguing storylines.
Disruptions in Ecosystems – Another great model of 3 dimensional learning that weaves Claims Evidence and Reasoning skills throughout the lessons. I found it challenging and interesting enough for my High School Ecology students.
Science Process Skills Ideas
- Understanding Science Teaching (Activities) – https://undsci.berkeley.edu/teaching/68_activities.php
- Teaching the Nature of Science – http://www.indiana.edu/~ensiweb/lessons/unt.n.s.html
- Share My Lessons- https://sharemylesson.com ( Search for #independent variables, #hypothesis, #analyzing, #conclusion, #measuring, #observing, #classifying, #prediction, #inference, #graphing, #data.
- Better Lesson – https://betterlesson.com (has some great lessons using the same search strategy as above)
- Strategy Guides from the Lawerence Hall of Science – http://learningdesigngroup.org/resources-strategy-guides
- Fossil Sort – An lesson to teach claims evidence and reasoning – http://learningdesigngroup.org/sites/default/files/resources/files/SG-Supporting_Claims_with_Evidence-Fossils.pdf from the Argumentation Toolkit
Open Source NGSS Three Dimensional Curriculum
- Patterns Science
- The Wonder of Science
- New Visions Science
- OER Commons
- Next Generation Science Storylines
- Inquiry Hub Biology
- Ambitious Science Teaching